A George V amboyna fitted dressing box by Edwards & Sons, 161 & 159 Regent Street, London.
Edwards & Sons were, according to their advertisements in the 1930s, traced their roots back to 1853. Charles Alfred Edwards, a senior partner in the business, died on April 23rd 1935 aged 76; it was reported at the time that he established the business in Regent Street in 1912. They traded until 1938, joining the British Antique Dealers Association in 1920 after being listed as antique furniture dealers. They moved to 14 Berkeley Square in Mayfair in 1932.
This fine quality dressing box is veneered in the finest amboyna with ivory line inlay and engraved cartouche. The lid opens to reveal fitted compartment with silver and ivory fittings, the doors opening to reveal a pair of scent bottles. A couple of items are no longer present but unusually the scissors still are.
The lower drawer opens with a push button at the back of the box to reveal a storage area with what appears to be the original shaving bowl. This could of course be used for jewellery storage and we can add velvet lining if required.
The silver bottles are hallmarked for M. Chapman, Son & Co. London 1913. The nail polisher for Levi & Salaman, Birmingham 1913.
In excellent condition apart from a crack to the side mirror of one bottle compartment (see image) with working lock and tassled key.
8 1/2" x 8 1/2" (plus base) x 6 1/4" high (21.5cm x 21.5cm x 16cm high)